Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blog 2


In the fall of 2009, I was placed in difficult position. I was SCA president of Hickory High School in Chesapeake, Virginia, and was in charge of planning and organizing the powder-puff football game for the junior and senior classes. This event was my brain child of the year before, and everyone was expecting it to be bigger and better. The group I was working with contained some good friends of mine, who I had known all throughout my high school career. Unfortunately, this caused some division in the group, as we were not used to working on large projects together, and were comfortable enough with each other to be blunt. Feelings were hurt, and large loads of work fell on some, while others were discouraged and zoned themselves out of the project completely.
From reading chapter 9 of Group Dynamics of Teams by Levi, I became aware of ways to make decisions in groups, without conflict, and for the greatest good. Though we had known each other before the project started, the nominal technique I believe would have been effective. This technique is mainly used for “non” teams who do not want to gain relationships. But seeing as everyone know each other already and were friends, I believe these techniques would take hard feelings out of the situation. It is a democratic technique that would have been fair to everyone.
Though my group is a team, and plans on building relationships with each other, I think this same technique for the base of making large decisions on our action at the Boys and Girls Club would work effectively. It would keep negative feelings from forming, and be the fairest way to decide big decisions about the future of our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment